Parent Approval for Enrollment
Welcome to SmartDrive Classic – an online Motor Vehicle Accident Prevention Program (Defensive Driving – BASIC) for High School students. The two prerequisites for this course are:
1) Student must already hold a state issued Driver License/Permit
2) Student must have completed the first six-month Parent Supervised Driving Period as required under the Graduated Driver Licensing Laws of your state.
EXAMPLE: If today is August 15th (8/15), and your license/permit was issued on March 3rd (3/3), you must wait until September 3rd (9/3) to begin this course.
A course completion certificate will not be issued to a student who has not completed the first 6-month GDL period.
Upon completion of the three SmartDrive Classic lessons, the student’s driver license information is submitted to the Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for acceptance. This acceptance applies to Insurance Discount Confirmation and the 3-Point driver record credit. This credit does not remove any points already on the student’s driver record.
Once accepted by DMV, a Course Completion Certificate will be sent by email to the Parent/Guardian/Sponsor that approved the enrollment. The certificate is sent as an email attachment – no printed certificate will be issued.
The Course Completion Certificate IS NOT presented online and IS NOT downloadable from this website.
Retain the electronic version of the Course Completion Certificate as duplicates will not be provided.
If your student encounters a problem during their SmartDrive Classic learning program – your student can get assistance by contacting SmartDrive:
When contacting SmartDrive for help – this information is required to protect student record privacy:
- Student’s full name as it appears on your state issued Driver License/Permit
- Student’s driver license number as it appears on your state issued Driver License/Permit
- An email address or phone number where SmartDrive can contact you
Things to know about your student’s enrollment in SmartDrive Classic –
- The SmartDrive Classic BASIC Certification course may require a minimum of six hours (360 minutes) to complete.
- The SmartDrive Classic BASIC Certification course is presented in three (3) lessons, each may require a minimum of two hours (120 minutes) of engagement.
- The SmartDrive Classic course – three lessons and post test must be completed within fourteen (14) days of enrollment.
Failure to complete the course promptly will result in the student having to re-enroll.